Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Revelling in a Reunion!



It's so fun to welcome back, the fabulous Anna Campbell to my blog.

Last year I just lapped up The Winter Wife and I can't wait to get my hands on a download of Days of Rakes and Roses (I'm having cover and title envy!) Love me a good rake! :) 

But here's Anna to tell you all about it.

Hi Liz! Thank you so much for having me on your blog. As you know, I ADORE your books so this is a real treat for me. Speaking of treats, how good was ANYTHING BUT VANILLA? About as good as ice-cream (I’m on an ice-cream kick at the moment which makes my tastebuds happy and my hips cranky!). 

I’m visiting today to talk about my brand-new e-novella (available in North America only at present, although we’re working on other territories) DAYS OF RAKES AND ROSES which is out today from Grand Central Forever Yours.

You can read the blurb and an excerpt here

There’s a lot of things I like about this story.

The cover! Seriously, isn’t that gorgeous? Love the pink and the roses! 

The fact that it’s billed as 1.5 in the Sons of Sin series. Kind of like it’s a teenager! 

The fact that I got to play with a couple of the characters out of the rest of the series like Camden Rothermere and Sir Richard Harmsworth.

It’s only 99 cents! Seriously, that’s a bargain! 

The fact that it’s a reunion story. 

I love reunion stories. Do you? I love the way they give a couple a second chance at love when circumstances were against them first time around. I love seeing the hero and heroine recognise the mistakes of the past and with the benefit of time and wisdom, do things better. I love the awww factor at the end of a good reunion story when a couple always meant to be together finally gets their act into gear. 

While I love to read reunion stories, up until my e-novella DAYS OF RAKES AND ROSES, I’d only written one, a short novella called THE WINTER WIFE http://annacampbell.info/winterwife.html which I released last Christmas. The reunion was a theme I decided I wanted to return to. 

Lady Lydia Rothermere and Simon Metcalf are childhood sweethearts. The problem is that Lydia is the daughter of the powerful Duke of Sedgemoor and Simon is the penniless younger son of a mere knight. When Lydia’s father catches Simon and Lydia in a compromising position, he exiles Simon to the Continent and shames Lydia into a lifetime of toeing the line. 

Cue ten years later. Lydia is about to marry a rising political star Sir Berwick Grenville when, after a decade of no contact, Simon returns, determined to disrupt her engagement. Scandal has always dogged the Rothermere family and Lydia refuses to set tongues wagging by running after Simon. She also baulks at jilting an honourable man for someone who abandoned her and has since gained a Europe-wide reputation as a rake and vagabond.

But the passion she felt for Simon has never died. Duty versus desire? Which will win? And what events will tip the balance either way? 

Yeah, I think you can guess the outcome. But with these stories, it’s the journey that counts, isn’t it? And I loved both these characters. Lydia is SOOOO determined to do the right thing and Simon is SOOOO determined that he’s not going to surrender the love of his life for the second time. 

So are you a fan of reunion stories? Do you have any favourites? Why do you think reunion stories are so perennially popular in romancelandia? 

I’ve got a download of DAYS OF RAKES AND ROSES for a North American commenter and a download of my e-novella THESE HAUNTED HEARTS for someone from outside North America to give away today.

Please let me know where you’re based when you comment! Good luck! 



Follow Anna on Twitter at  @AnnaCampbelloz 
Like her on Facebook at  https://www.facebook.com/annacampbell.writer
Visit her webpage at http://www.annacampbell.info/

30 comments:

Fiona Marsden said...

You had me at reunion...

*cries* I requested it on Netgalley to tide me over. If they refuse me...I don't know what I'll do.

Anna Campbell said...

Fiona, such a pity about no Aussie release at present! We are working on it! Fingers crossed it's not too long.

May said...

Hmmm... I can't think of any right now but I do like reunion stories. Especially if the guy has to beg for forgiveness!

Liz Fielding said...

WElcome to the blog, Anna. I absolutely love reunion stories. They're great to write, too, because you don't have to start from Day One. The characters have history so you can pitch straight in there!

Can wait to read this one when it's available. :)

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hey Anna!! How delicious, another Anna Campbell story! And I love that "1.5" bit. Grins. How cool! And the blurb makes it a must buy - as if it wasn't arleady. Ha!

Adored The Winter Wife and These Haunted Hearts. No need to enter me in the draw, but whoever wins is in for a TREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anna. I love reunion stories. It's a story type I love to write as well because you sort of skip over the whole getting to know the person phase and have to deal with past baggage instead. I have a e-novella in my Blue Falls, Texas series coming out in November (a Christmas story) that's also a reunion story.

Trish Milburn

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Well, heck! I posted a comment and it disappeared!

*waving at Anna and Liz* Hey gals!

Anna, I'm so excited about this story! Had to LOL about the "1.5" bit. :>

Since I already have the Winter Wife (Brilliant!) and These Haunted Hearts (Fabulous!) no need to enter me into the draw. I'll just be over here, in the States, reading...

Jeanne

Anna Campbell said...

Ha ha, May, we all love to see a hero grovel, don't we?

Anna Campbell said...

Liz, thanks for having me as your guest today. I always love to visit - almost as much as I love reading your books! I think for a novella, it's easier if the couple has known each other before just to make it believable that they fall in love in the time available. Having said that, my next Christmas novella is a couple who meet for the first time - interesting to work with a different dynamic!

Anna Campbell said...

Hiya Jeanne! Thanks for swinging by! And thanks for saying such lovely things about the other novellas. It's been a novella sort of six months for me with three hitting the shelves since late 2012. I was thinking the other day that one of the really upsides of the digital revolution is that novellas are popular again. I've always liked them - they're like a nice chocolate, not a whole meal, but delicious. And sometimes you just want that blast of romance yumminess, don't you?

Anna Campbell said...

Ooh, Trish, a new novella from you? Yum, yum, yum! Out of my three novellas, two have been reunions and one's had elements of reunion in it (the ghost one). It was interesting writing a new one where they were basically strangers - the epilogue was my friend!

Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hey Liz! Hey Anna!

Rakes and Roses is already on my Kindle! Can't wait to read it and I do so love reunion stories, too!

Anna Campbell said...

Hey, Suz, thanks so much for picking up Days of Rakes and Roses! Yeah, there's something really compelling about second chance at love stories, isn't there? So glad you're another fan of the reunion trope!

Caren Crane said...

Anna, I am so looking forward to reading Days of Rakes and Roses! This spate of your novellas has been very good for me as a reader. I get little bits of Anna Campbell to tide me over between novels. That's a wonderful thing!

I adore reunion stories, because I'm a huge believer in second chances. I've never actually had a second chance at love, but it's a favorite fantasy of mine. :) Susan Elizabeth Phillips is big on these and one of my favorites was Fancy Pants. Love that one!

I also loved The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis. It's one of her Lucky Harbor books - a serious I really liked.

I can't wait to get home so Days can download on my Kindle! Thanks for the tasty treat today!

Nancy Northcott said...

Anna, don't enter me in the giveaway. I downloaded Days of Rakes and Roses first thing this morning and have had These Haunted Hearts since it came out.

I love reunion stories. I recently read Ella Grace's Midnight Secrets. The town bad boy is now the sheriff, and the girl he loved and lost is now an assistant DA in another state, home to avoid the threat of a hit.

And then there's the agonizing but so worth it Claiming the Courtesan by, oh, you! *g*

Anna Campbell said...

Caren, thank you so much for swinging by. Yes, I've been flooding the universe with novellas lately, haven't I? You're so right about SEP doing this trope really well - mind you, is there a trope she doesn't do well? I don't think so. I read and enjoyed Jill Shalvis years ago when she wrote category romance - would you believe she's next off my TBR pile. I've heard so much about her full length contemps! Looking forward to discovering them.

Anna Campbell said...

Nancy, how lovely of you to have BOTH novellas! You get the (cyberspace) prize of a big hug from me! Better than the novellas, I'm sure! ;-) Ha ha. I'd never thought of CTC as a reunion story, but you know, you're right!

Christina Brooke said...

Hi Anna! Hi Liz! Lovely to see you here today and congratulations on your release!

I have to say I adored this book! It's so sweet and deeply felt. I love reunion stories because the stakes are high from the get-go. They're my favourite story to write, also.

I've got a soft spot for Heyer's Bath Tangle and Mary Jo Putney wrote a couple of brilliant ones, Shattered Rainbows and Silk and Secrets (I think).

Cassondra Murray said...

Hi Anna!

I LOVED The Winter Wife. The title alone is so compelling. My heart melted with the snow at the hero's pain over how he'd mishandled her. I don't think I've ever rooted for anyone as hard as I did for him to do whatever it took to win her back.

I love all of your writing, so this is going on the Kindle right now! What a day of releases we've had!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Anna!

I LOVE this cover and, as I mentioned on the Romance Bandits blog this morning, I love reunion stories although I haven't written one. I think I'll have to take a stab at that.

Can't wait to read this one!

Anna Campbell said...

Christina, thank you for saying such lovely things about Rakes and Roses! I'm still glowing because you loved it! Oh, you're so right about those MJPs. Ages since I read them but they stick in the memory.

Anna Campbell said...

Donna, I was surprised when I sat down to write last year's Christmas novella that I hadn't done one either. I love reading them - the whole second chance thing really works for me. Thanks for saying you love the cover - I think it's gorgeous!

Liz Fielding said...

Sorry, I was absent for most of yesterday - a trip into Salisbury for an eye check. Managed to squeeze in a visit to the cathedral - amazing - and a good lunch, too. :)

Anna Campbell said...

Sounds like a lovely day, Liz. I've never been to Salisbury - it's on my list!

Jo Robertson said...

Congrats on the new release, Anna!

I love reunion stories. They're not only a chance at second love, but also a chance at redemption. Redeeming unredeemable characters is one of my favorite motifs.

Betty Hamilton said...

Hi, from Betty in South Florida, USA. I like reunions because they allow for separations which allows us time to re-think the original relationship. Sometimes that is enough , however when its not enough... the relationship can come back stronger than ever. Now that is usually a hot story!

Anna Campbell said...

Jo, you're so right about the redemption thing which as you know is one of my hot buttons as a romance theme. How funny I hadn't actually thought of it in context with a reunion story - no wonder I like them so much! Thanks for the congrats!

Anna Campbell said...

Betty, thanks for swinging by! I agree with you. There's that older but wiser element to a reunion story that can be really powerful.

Annie West said...

Anna, the cover is delicious and so is the story. Congratulations on this new release. Don't include me in the draw since I've read all your novellas. Do I get brownie points for that? Free ice cream for a month, maybe, talking of Liz's delicious 'Anything But Vanilla'. Hope lots more readers discover this new release!

Anna Campbell said...

Annie, isn't that a gorgeous cover? Laughing at you talking about ice-cream. After reading Liz's delicious ANYTHING BUT VANILLA, I'm not surprised it's only your mind!